Incident Description: A Wire Technician ascended his extension ladder on a spot pole. After belting off, the pole snapped at ground level and fell to the ground.
Injuries / Property Damage: Multiple injuries / Treated and released from the emergency room
Prevention: Proper Pole Testing
- Remove the soil around the base of the pole if possible
- Use a prod with a shaft of five inches in length or longer
- Insert the tool at a 45° angle below the ground line
- Wood decay will be evident by the ease with which the tool penetrates the pole
- Sound the pole by striking with a hammer on all sides from the ground line to as high as can be reached. The presence of advanced decay can be recognized by a hollow or dull sound.